Design Team: Rames Najjar, Magdalena Kufel, Mohammad Ekhlasi & Karin Kaufmann
Consultants: Karin Stieldorf (Energy Design)
The history of the Bundesrat (Federal Council) building in Berlin's Leipziger Straße spans over a hundred years: it was completed in 1904 under the aegis of architect Friedrich Schulze-Kolbitz for the Preußisches Herrenhaus. The German Bundesrat is a legislative body that represents the sixteen Federated states of Germany at the national level.
Our design intention for the Bundesrat Visiting Center is to respond with an inviting and open architecture that highlights the democratic processes for citizens. The new building bridges the gap between two buildings, the Ministry of Finance and Bundersrat complex itself. the visiting Center comprises of conference areas, a library, archives, and offices. The façade points to the inside, inviting visitors to enter the building through a large and open foyer to take a journey through the building with no obstruction.