House H was built in 1885 and is located in the beautiful spa town of Baden, Austria. With a two- thousand-year-old history that dates back to the Roman usage of the hot Sulphur springs, this tradition is characteristic of the quaint rural town. The architects were thus tasked with designing an extension that opens the living and spa areas to the beautiful garden and old forest beyond.
We decided to highlight a clear separation between the old and the new by proposing a large glazed steel frame structure capable of carrying the building slabs. Because of this the garden can be experienced on the inside at different levels. The landscape design follows the topography and integrates the old villa with the new extension and a guesthouse in the garden with the aim of creating an assemblage of structures from different centuries.